Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tandem Sky Dive 15,000 ft, Lake Wanaka, New Zealand

Yes. It's true. I did it. I jump off the plane 15,000ft above in the air. It was not planed but my parents asked if I want to do it. The answer was definitely a yes. I was not nervous at all but was totally excited about it. I was assigned to go with a tall and hot instructor, Jeff. He did what he needed to do to get us prepared before the jump. We did all the normal procedures, watching a video clip, signing forms, wearing proper gears and having a video/cameraman along. It all happened in a mere one hour. Started with walking to the plane and having a few photographs and a short chat with the instructor. There were three other people that were going to jump at 15,000ft, so a total of twelve people in the plane, four instructors, four camerame, four jumpers and a pilot of course. So we took off. We slowly got up, 2,000ft, 5,000ft, 10,000ft and finally 15,000ft. On the way up, we took pictures, videos, talked (instructors were doing all the talking, probably trying to calm the jumpers a little bit) and the scenery was marvelous. I was the third person to jump off the plane. The first person went off in seconds. It went so fast, I can barely see him. It was then my turn. I guess that is when I start to get nervous. Took another few pictures. Instructor told me to get ready, so hands on the strap, heads on his shoulder, hips forward and pooff... we are off in the air. It took me probably about 10 seconds to be aware that I am free falling. I was told earlier that if the instructor taps on my hand, I could let go of my strap and relax. He tapped me the first time but I was too into the free fall (or maybe nervous), second time and I was still on the strap, third time and I realise that I was suppose to let go and until the fourth time I released. My hands were flying, like a bird. I was not sure what to do that time but was just looking at the video camera that was in front of me and SMILE!!! All I did was smile. Looking back, I should have done something funny instead, just like what the instructor did. After 60 seconds of free falling, he opened the parachute. The cameraman left and landed first. The instructor then release some straps so that I would feel more comfortable. Took the plastic eye protector off and he asked if I was ok. My ears were blocked with the air pressure and it was hard to breathe during the free fall. He then told me to pinch my nose and blow through it to unblock my ears. It was not clear till I reach the ground. But I was not too concern about that at all. All I was thinking of is I SKY DIVED!!! I landed safely and was so hyper with the adrenalin rush in my blood. The cameraman was waiting on the landing ground and took more pictures. The whole jump probably took about 10 minutes, less maybe but I want to do it again!!! Dad was taking video of me landing. I was waving and smiling at the camera. I was surprised I was not shaking or walking side ways after landing. Smiling all the way, walking back to base. Took off the gears, waited for my Dvd and Cd, and got a t-shirt. Watched the video and I was totally looking weird in it as the pressure was pulling my cheeks upwards. It was ugly =( but it was all worth while, the money paid, the experience of a life time! So my dear friends, if you see me, remember to ask me for my sky dive video and pictures!! I do not mind you people laughing on how funny I look in it at all!


Cheers mate!!

1 comment:

JJ said...

yes!! i wanna see pics and video! :D